Landscape designer Julie Orr wrote about petscaping on her blog awhile ago and I liked that she did not ignore cats. Here are a few of her tips for landscaping with cats in mind:
- Low shrubs and grasses that they can lounge under are perfect.
- Another cat favorite is to roll in dry, warm areas like pavers, flagstone, or even better, gravel or gold fines.
- Always protect your kitty from dangers of the road, cat fights and other animals.
- Use a cat enclosure in the garden or simply keep your cat indoors- my cat has live happily for 17 years indoors.
- A pondless ceramic fountain can provide hours of entertainment with visiting insects and birds while also supplying fresh, moving water to your feline. Be sure to always add fresh water either manually or via your irrigation system and never add chlorine.
- Consider your aging pets needs and put in ramps or steps for cats that can no longer leap to their destinations.
Photo source: "Patio" by Gjerickson (Own work) 1982
[CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons